_

Tolu Fiz Akanee is a thinker, writer and speaker; the author of A-Z Life lessons

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Owambe thoughts....

Double owambe for me dis wknd, wedding and engagement and I had quite a lot to learn
1. I met this uncle - tho nt a direct uncle buh we blood sha - and I already loved him b4 I knew he was my uncle. From d moment he walked into d engagement hall I loved him for his stature (my dream tall n broad stature), his smile, and he knew at least one person on every table!
That's how I like to appear at events! Knowing everyone on d floor is d reward for calculated extrovertedness
Wha tripped me most about him was d fact that he's a medical doctor! Doctors r mostly introverts.
That brings me to d 1st lesson
"U CAN NEVER BE TOO BUSY TO ENJOY N MAINTAIN HEALTHY RELATIONSHIPS."
2. Networking is fun. It has always been fun and it will never stop being fun
I've come to realise that fame is not a function of the no of events u attend, its all about the kind of events u attend.
When u appear everywhere, u become a nuisance. U can't afford to honour every invite, be choosy and chose right, that's d only time ur presence can truly be a privilege.

3. The golden rule I learnt from Trump is "ALWAYS SEAT WHER U CAN SEE N CAN BE SEEN"
Very important

4. As a young person, family frnds n relations will always want to size u up. I don't know to what end they do it, but they'll always want to size u up.
I was excited when that my uncle sat next to me and he startd throwin questions. I can't exactly express in words some of d communication principles I grasped from him.
When he saw my phone, he went "oh, blackberry! I heard they r banning it in UAE, what's wrong?"
I was more than excited cause I spent d next 5mins analysing the problem, all thanks to my Forbes app that daily loads me wit relevant information.
2 other random questions came in like that and I was on point again.

5. The chairman said sumtn interestin
They say. A family that prays together stays together
Many limit dat act of "prayer" to the act of just talking to God. But no, prayer connotes a moment of sincerity, when u lare it bare before God, when ure naked before him
It is this sincerity/nakedness/openness btw family members that makes a family that 'prays' together to stay together
This one is off owambe
More often than not u will find urself in d middle of a bad decision. Ur emotion has been committed to it, it could be ur finance, u might have roped in family and friends, ur organisation might even be involved....but it is a bad decision
Bad decisions neva yield good no matter hw hard u try to around it
Ur ego has been committed to it
What will people say if u turn back?
Always remember that a bad decision is a bad decision, don't ever get too proud or too committed to admit it was a bad decision.
It is never too late to be right

Some random tins yo!
Wha dd u learn ds wknd?
Sent from my BlackBerry wireless device from MTN

2 comments:

bonnie said...

mehn u r so right u kno.. nice 1.

Tolulope Akanni said...

thank u ma!