_

Tolu Fiz Akanee is a thinker, writer and speaker; the author of A-Z Life lessons

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Build your brand

Before u enjoy the secrets I'm about to share I want u to go over to www.google.comand search for the words "Tolulope Akanni"
I want u to do same on www.facebook.com

U will discover there are 2 'Tolulope Akanni's on Facebook and 2 'Akanni Tolulope' none of which includes me

For the 1st 3 pages of ur google search, u will realise that all the 'Tolulope Akanni's point to me!
It didn't happen by chance. It was a calculated arrival birth forth by simple, plain strategies. With little or nothing, u too can be all over and everywhere. 

In this age where employers google names of prospective employees it is essential that u build a very strong online presence. From time to time google ur name on Facebook, it will help u realise how the world sees you. 

Start a blog
U don't need the oratory prowess of Aniekan not the inquisitive mind of Damilare, not the bare mind of Chino nor the poetical tint of Harry to blog. Just say something, u can't tell me ure a thinker if u don't own a blog! 

There's a clear difference btw those who read and those who do not 
It's nt by carrying books of 600pages all around, it's not by having a degree in literature all those things are not enough. Read and read relevant current materials; current materials keeps u on ur feet. Read biographies..nothing inspires better than biographies. "The secrets of men lie in their stories" 

Be ever ready for that golden 30secs
 Very few times in ur sojourn in life u will get a golden 30secs to sell urself to that one person uve always wanted to meet. Get prepared for that moment, have a rehearsed package for that moment. It might just be that 20secs u spend in the lift from the ground floor to the 6th floor with Bishop Oyedepo or Richard Branson or Fela Durotoye or Oprah Winfrey. What is it that u will say to them that will lead to exchange of business cards?

Know how to write letters/emails
 If u can't compose a letter/mail u r finished! Bye bye, stop reading and come over to my house for personal coaching...lol
But it is a terrible thing to not know how to compose powerful emails! In my short sojourn I've been privileged to communicate with great men in this country via emails. After I'm done typing, I kabash over those mails and it's not possible for them not to reply.

Never stand alone. Promote mother brands
 The worst mistake I can make is to introduce myself as Tolulope Akanni and just leave it at that. There's no platform I speak that I don't introduce myself as a Covenant University graduate, and the reason is logical while the effect is magical. 
 Why should u stand alone?
  There are 7,000 covenant university students and about 7,000 graduates as well. Bishop David Oyedepo has millions of followers all around the country and is even a force to reckon with outside the shores of this country. So why should I stand alone when I can present myself as Oyedepo's son? But because some people want to shine alone they end up not shining at all. 

Let your friends meet your friends
 This is one of the cheapest things I've done. Link friends with similar interests up with each other, create platforms for ur friends to meet ur friends; if it yields they will be forever grateful to u
I go "A meet B, he's also into xyz" and what do I get in return?
"I met him thru Tolu" "I met her thru Tolu"
And on the long run people go "that Tolu boy is connected"

Meet parents
 Don't be limited to the experience ur own parents share with u, meet other parents it will help u a lot.

Conferences seminars

There's no way u can cope without them, go all out to hear ur mentors speak at conferences and seminars, network with new folks.The right seminars set u in that sober, reflective/thirsty mood for success....they spark up that insatiable thirst for 'what next?'

Ppl love statistics

(figures, dates, time)Especially in a society like ours in which people don't attach much relevance to making discoveries, when u come across to people as someone who is filled with facts, they go WOW!This is what motivational speakers use as openers "Do u knw that 3million ppl do bla bla every bla bla bla" and because it's absolutely new to us. We are dazed and amazed!

In this world, packaging is everything,
Build ur brand!