_

Tolu Fiz Akanee is a thinker, writer and speaker; the author of A-Z Life lessons

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

A day like no other

By Jane Ib Akujuru Yesterday at 8:37pm

So the 9th day of the 8th month of the 10th year in the millennium series started for me at about 5am with the usual morning prayers in my sitting room. My dad could barely wait for the last good morning greeting to come before reminding me that I had to start my French classes today. Because the mother of the house was away, I had to get into the kitchen and ensure that my dad still received his usual share of hot bath water and to also ponder on what would be best suitable for his breakfast.

At about 6am, I was back to lay on my bed even though I knew no good would come out of this lazy practice of mine. But then who can blame me, ever since graduation, it has been my usual routine to go back to sleep after the morning prayers. Well today I couldn't shut my eyes even though I was on my very comfortable bed. Finally, at about 6:47 I rise and grace the walls of my bathroom to do the next thing on my agenda. I was barely done with moisturizing my skin before my dad told me he was done with breakfast and was ready to leave the house. "Ibala, from the look of things you're not ready so come and take your money and let me go". You see normally, I would have tarried so to delay him a little and still have him drop me off but no, the stubborn me decided to collect the money and bid him farewell.

By 7:45 I finally stroll out of my gate and begin my walk to the bus stop, another stubborn thing inside of me deceived me that taking buses today couldn't be that bad and stressful so I decided no cab but buses and taxes for today. Due to my lack of knowledge on how to operate a car, the cars parked in the house were of no use to me. Well the grounds were wet and by the time I got to the bus stop I began to feel moist at the back of my right feet, then I realized, the bottom of my jeans was wet already.

The first taxi I hurried into wasn't that bad as I met them chatting away and exchanging gist I wasn't interested in. I guess wearing a crisply ironed shirt and being nicely made up sent the wrong impression across, the taxi guy told me that since I was a "madam", I could do without my change. I let that fly and would have been a bit happy had the scruffy looking middle aged guy that was sitting beside me not followed me to my next stop. Now I could have lied that I didn't have a phone but he had noticed we were both listening to the "Good Morning Nigeria Show" on Cool FM. Relax he still didn't get my number, I simply took his and promised to call. Here I was expecting that a half full bus would park right in front of me until I saw people running to catch whatever buses stopped. From the devilish sound of Lady Gaga's Bad Romance to a strange tune and then finally to the melodious tune of Usher's Oh My Gosh before I finally walked into a half full bus.

Then the trip started and while I was trying to concentrate on my Cool FM, the driver felt it better to tune in to Diplomatic Akass on Wazobia FM still flogging and pouring water on people to wake up. Suddenly I tried to draw the conductors attention to giving me my change and what did I see, a lady was applying make-up on the bus while the one sitting next to her munched away on Gala sausage roll. What an oxymoron I wondered to myself. I didn't know which to creatively criticize in my mind first then I remembered my learned friends book A-Z life lessons and concluded that I wasn't alone after all.


Finally I got to the famous Alliance Francaise forgetting that I had stood for roughly 17mins at the last bus stop. In my usual friendly fashion I acquired a friend and well a partner in laughter. We laughed away at our expectations at the end of the programme even though now that I think of them they ain't that funny. Then comes our teacher who thinks we must all stand while he teaches. We stood for as long as I can remember repeating after him and trying to memorize what he had said, short break came, went and things hadn't changed. So we stood from about 10am to 12:30 and on return from our break, he began telling us of his troublesome nature and I guess he didn't realize the fact that he was boring me to sleep. He finally rounds up by telling us to come out one after the other to repeat all that we had been taught today. By the end of the class, I have a terrible headache and the man expects me to speak French to anyone I see in the building and to that I say God Forbid. This place is scary, even the cleaners and the cafeteria servers speak FrenchDid I think that was all, I was mistaken, I got home and boy food was not near ready. I munched on pieces of meat and then moved on to the African pear before I noticed 2 slices of bread which of course I picked up and shoed the way to my belly.

My head still hurts but yet I just have to share this with you all. Today I learnt some things,
• It's time I learnt how to drive and fast
• I met someone who always had the hopes of getting married by 18. Thank God for parents, that was delayed until 22.
• Even if what you want to say is wrong, you should say and enjoy being corrected.
• Tomorrow, I must strive to join my dad on his way out in the morning.
• Je suis celibataire.
_____________________
In this note: Tolu Fiz Akanee, Tonye Otikiri, Dasola Goke, Shola Dawodu, Tolu Juke Ajiboye, Yanju 'dvc' Ade, Olusegun Jovictor 'dvc' Adebajo, Raquelle Adeyemo, Opeyemi Akinnola

Comment - Like
____________________________

Jane Ib Akujuru
at 8:40pm yesterday
If i dint get to tag you its because my eyes are almost shut now.

Tonye Otikiri
at 8:47pm yesterday
Jane. Tolu shld put this story on d next A-z of lifes lesson cos u guys share d same experience.. Don't worry ill teach u how to drive only that u gast prepare for anytin oo. Sha all na fun sha and lifes lesson.

Willis Daniels
at 8:49pm yesterday
but its a small world after all. we humans dont really grip that fact. well thanks for the show now i knw it pointless.

Shola Dawodu
at 8:51pm yesterday
*heavy sigh* jane m speechless

Jane Ib Akujuru
at 8:58pm yesterday
Willis Im avoiding getting all angry at u on my wall but pls pls and pls, stop this nonsense coz u dont know me and trust me you dont want to get me angry now. You think I dont have other things to do than bring an unimportant appointment into my daily schedule. Msheew

Tolu Fiz Akanee
at 9:02pm yesterday
So I don't hv to write on my blog tonite. I just copy n paste,
@Tonye, d latest writer in town deserves sum publicity right?
Pretty cool. Thumbs up to u Jane!
delete

Adetola Awobajo
at 9:07pm yesterday
tanks 4 stealing 5mins of my tym.... its gud 2 knw hw ur day went.....lol

Jane Ib Akujuru
at 9:16pm yesterday
Haha Tola, just 5 mins, thot uld still be reading by now. Tolu, wateva suits u best dear.
Sent from my BlackBerry wireless device from MTN

No comments: