_

Tolu Fiz Akanee is a thinker, writer and speaker; the author of A-Z Life lessons

Saturday, September 4, 2010

PAYBACKs & REWARDS: The conduct

(image source: google images)

Every system/organisation in the world has an operational creed. There are laws by which day-to-day activities are bound and even though innovation doesn't support strict adherence to the status quo, it will be safe for u to live by them else u'll come crashing like a pack of cards.

Live by the rules but don't be imprisoned by it.

For the past couple of months I've been doing business with a particular organisation and it wasn't until yesterday that I discovered there wasn't something I wasn't exactly doing right, it was a bit embarassing when I was made to realize that, and even though I didn't get it at first, when a close partner explained the rationale behind it for me I screamed with joy! cos it was a mega discovery.

What did I learn?
I learnt a lesson on favours.

Favour
When someone does something for you that he's not obliged to do for you, or let's say something that ure not paying for, it is considered a favour.
Favour will be considered an unmerited aid.

The Rationale
Naturally as human we take advantage of favours as a leverage to get someone to be under our sphere of influence.
If I get u a job
"he's the one that got me that job"
"he drops me off at home after work daily"
And over time, more often than not, this person I'm favouring loses his/her ability to say NO to me.

Favours could be dangerous!
"The borrower is servant to the lender" is not limited to loans & credits.

We all somehow depend on favours to explore new realms and greater heights, so there's a need to realize that favours can be dangerous and it can place a form of demand on u that may force u to make irrational decisions and poor judgement.

So watch it!

The Golden rule
There's a golden rule behind favours and it's as simple as
Always payback favours as soon as u can else u remain indebted for ever.
When u payback on time, it is perceived as the MAIN payback, but when u payback later on it perceived as ONE OF THOSE payback benefits...meaning there's more to come!
The moment he gets u a job, even before ur first salary comes, buy his wife a sack of rice, buy him an expensive bottle of wine or simply buy him a shirt.
That way he knows uve paid back, even though he might want to place a demand on u in the nearest future, he will think twice before asking because he's aware uve paid ur dues.
If he's asking for too much, remind him of the time u appreciated him with ur gifts and make him realize u would have done what he's asking for if it were within ur means.


An unreturned favour is an open cheque! 
It leaves u vulnerable, the one who favoured u can arrive at anytime and just ask for anything whether convenient or not....and ure now beclouded with the thought of
"Chai! I've never done anything to repay this man that favoured me so much, I just have to do this"


Powerful negotiators know this and take full advantage of this!
I almost learnt this the hard way, don't make the same mistake I recently made.

Pay back on time!

No comments: